Monday 20 July 2009

Apothecary's Chest

Apothecary's Chest

Acrylic on box canvas, 50cm x 50cm x 4 pieces
PLEASE NOTE: A better photograph will be provided of this painting shortly.


Apothecary's Chest was inspired by its title, which came along in a book around the time I took delivery of Stan the stage prop. I researched what an Apothecary was and found it was an old name for a healer.

An Apothecary's Chest was the chest of drawers he/she had someone else carry which contained a whole manner of items in order to heal the people. This inspired the idea of the 7 Sins, ancient yet modern ailments that cannot be healed, even by an Apothecary. Here is my interpretation, visually, of the 7 sins:

Cigar - Greed
Chocolates - Gluttony
Poison Ivy - Envy
Lipstick - Lust
Peacock feather - Vanity
Broken bottle - Anger
Bubbles - Sloth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki, I really liked your exhibition yesterday, I found your subject approach really fascinating too. Well done, john

nikki_morris said...

Hey thanks John, sorry I didn't get a good chat with you, I saw you then you vanished, but my head was spinning! Thanks so much for coming :-) xx