Monday 1 June 2009

Three Theorems

threetheorems

Acrylic on box canvas, 36in x 24in


Three Theorems is a painting to link my forthcoming show at the Hive gallery, to the other artists show on at the same time, Adrian Pritchard. His exhibition is called Unstrung Theory and encompasses strings of paint. 

I began by researching the String theory, which lead me a merry dance into other theories and equations, and my mind being what it is came up with this ensemble of objects. The Butterfly represents just that, the Butterfly (Chaos) theory and the apple, Newtons theory of Gravity. The sky and dandelion represent time and space, while the violin has close connections with Adrians title of unstrung theory.

I thoroughly enjoyed this painting, it was challenging technically. I am ready for a slight change in direction now and hope to be working on a male nude painting or some surreal type sketches, although I will get around to both in the fullness of time...all being well! 

No comments: